Pages

google analytics

Monday, July 18, 2016

Self Righteousness and Kung Fu - Good Words from Stephen King

So... I'm reading Stephen King's novel, The Stand, again (for something like the tenth time, I think).  Some friends question why I would read such trash, others would question why I'd read it more than once. And the answer is, "it's a great story" and because "there's really good stuff in there."  Seriously.

Take this bit of great advice (found on page 799 in my 1991, "complete and uncut" paperback version):

"And your choice is made?"
"Yes."
"For good?"
"Yes, it is."
"Then live with it," the Judge said with great relish. "For God's sake, Larry, grow up. Develop a little self-righteousness. A lot of that is an ugly thing, God knows, but a little applied over all your scruples is an absolute necessity! It is to the soul what a good sun-block is to the skin during the heat of the summer. You can only captain your own soul, and from time to time some smart-ass psychologist will question your ability to do even that."

Good advice there.

Take, also, this paraphrased version of Psalm 23 (on page 1003); it's just fun:

"The Lord is my shepherd...I shall not want for nothing. He makes me lie down in the green pastures. He greases up my head with oil. He gives me kung-fu in the face of my enemies. Amen."

Kung-fu in the face of my enemies! Praise God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails