Pages

google analytics

Thursday, March 3, 2016

To the Person Who Stole My Coat Last Night


ugh.

Thank you, I guess, for giving me the opportunity to put Luke 6:28 in action. It’s all very well and good for me, as a preacher, to talk about living according to the instructions of Jesus, but to actually have the chance to ‘walk the walk’, as it were, is to make real what I can usually only talk about in abstractions. So, thank you, I guess.

I’m not really happy that you took my coat. I’m not upset because I don’t have another coat to wear during these last few weeks of winter. I do, and I know that I’m fortunate in that regard. I’m irritated because that coat was special. It was a gift from my wife. It was special, but not irreplaceable. I know that it’s just a coat (and I do have another to wear). But more than being a good warm coat, it had sentimental value.

I hope that you took it because it was raw and rainy / snowy last night, that you took it because you were cold and desperate. That I can understand. I hope that the coat keeps you warm for at least another 15 years, as it has me.

So "Go in peace; keep warm and well fed," (James 2:16) and if you need food or additional clothing please stop in again – and ask. I’ll be pleased to help.

thatjeffcarter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails