Pages

google analytics

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Will I Get in Trouble for Having an Opinion?


I don’t know when it happened, but apparently I have become the old respectable guy that the youngsters call at 11:30 to ask troubling questions. When did that happen?  When did I become… respectable? 

And don’t these young pups know that my answers are likely to get them in trouble?

The other night one of my friends, my younger friends, called me up in the middle of the night to ask a number of fearful questions. 

One of the questions was this:  “Will I get in trouble for having an opinion?”

I nearly wept.

How sad, that we have to be afraid of opinions How tragic it is that we should even have to ask the question.  I answered truthfully, “Yes. Probably.” Having an opinion, especially a dissenting opinion is likely to stir up trouble.  But, then again, that’s where a lot of the good work gets done.

I don’t often give advice; I’m not very good at it, and people don’t really like being given advice, so instead I offered up some words of wisdom from Saint Bono. Yes. Have an opinion. God gave you that great thinking organ, and that loving heart that beats within you.  Have an opinion and share it boldly and don't let the bastards grind you down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails