Pages

google analytics

Monday, November 24, 2014

No One Could Tell the Difference


We may have our Salvation Army Christmas kettles out already – before thanksgiving – and I may take my guitar out to play instead of ringing a bell for hours on end, but I’m not yet ready to start playing Christmas songs.  Not until after Thanksgiving, at least.  One holiday at a time, please...

Until then I am playing Bob Dylan, the Beatles, Pete Seeger, Mumford and Sons, American folk songs, etc...

Tonight, as I stood at the kettle, playing my guitar and singing in the lobby of the Hy-Vee grocery store, a young man approached me and asked if he could sing along.  Being the personable kind of person that I am, I said, “sure” and started the next song.  And he joined in with me.

But golly and gee, this guy had no sense of pitch or rhythm.  It’s okay, though – I guess – because I was playing Bob Dylan songs at the time, and no one could tell the difference.

If you see me, or any of our volunteers ringing a bell (or playing an instrument) at the kettle stand, please consider donating to The Salvation Army.  Or you can make a donation online via this handy-dandy virtual kettle.  This one is set up for The Salvation Army of Newton (Jasper Country), Iowa, but you can use the site to find the Salvation Army unit nearest to you.

Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails