Pages

google analytics

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Never Again and not Just Never Again ... Until the Next Time



Veteran’s / Remembrance / Armistice Day is a difficult day for me.  It’s not difficult in an emotional sense but it’s a difficult day for my conscience.  I feel conflicted.

I am firmly, deeply committed to the idea and practice of non-violence.  I do not believe that military intervention has made the world better or safer.  I do not believe that violence can be used to “solve” problems.  (It may make them go away temporarily, but it does not solve anything…)  I do not want to endorse or support any war of the past, present, or future.

And neither do I want to disrespect those who have served in the armed forces.  My conflict is not with the soldier nor with their desire to serve.

If, on the Veteran’s /Remembrance / Armistice Day we say “Never Again” let’s mean –NEVER- again.  Never again will we send the youth of our nations off to slaughter one another. Never again will we engage in military conflict.  Let’s say “Never again” and mean never – and not just “never again … until the next time.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails