Pages

google analytics

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Working: I'm Raising the Next Pete Seeger


I'm raising the next Pete Seeger, or Woody Guthrie.  My son wrote a poem for his history class which was published in the school newsletter (in a grossly bastardized version, he was quick to point out).  I need to get this kid a banjo.

Working

I awake to a dark room,
crammed with bodies.
I make my way to the door,
and leave for work.

Working for hours
Working for life
Working for a tyrant

Every day I break my back
with the others.
We give everything we have,
sweat, tears, and blood.

Working for hours
Working for life
Working for a tyrant

I carry on day to day.
I do not know
what keeps me going like this.
Maybe it's hope...

Hope for justice
Hope for fairness
Hope for life

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails