Pages

google analytics

Monday, September 23, 2013

The Magic of Rainbows - another Exquisite Corpse

I have, on a couple of occasions, mentioned the art game The Exquisite corpse - a collaborative experiment between artists to create a strange piece of artwork without seeing what the other participants are doing.

I now have another one to share with you... though if you're easily offended or dislike vulgarity, you may want to skip to another post.

To begin, I was sent this 15 pixel sliver of the previous participants work - just enough to allow me to meld my portion without creating a 'seam' or an obvious break between the pieces.




From that little bit I could understand the word 'rainbows' and began working from that. I had no other clue, no other idea.  The word rainbows prompted me toward two musical cues - The Song "Rainbow Connection" (from the Muppet Movie) and the Radiohead album In Rainbows  which includes the song "Nude" with the lyric "Don't get any big ideas..." Curiously, I let the colors of the rainbow fade out of my work.



After submitting my piece back to the the host, a 15 pixel sliver from my work was sent to the next player in the list to create the final portion of the completed work. And then we wait.  Until that moment when the completed corpse can be revealed.  And here it is, presented in Rainbow Spectrum Technicolor.


What I couldn't see in the sliver I received is that the Rainbow theme from the previous artist also worked in a musical mode - though I'm using the word 'musical' very loosely here.  The two thuggish looking clowns are the members of the Insane Clown Posse, and the song being referred to is their song, "Miracles,"  which, in it's own ridiculous way talks about "magic" - which I included in my work - without knowing that it was in the previous section.  Weird, hunh?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails