Pages

google analytics

Monday, June 10, 2013

An Introvert, Malcontent, Troublemaker’s Impressions of the Salvation Army, Central Territory’s Congress 2013


I have, only just moments ago, returned from the Salvation Army Central Territory (USA)’s Congress – this is our big annual gathering for meetings and for the ordination and commissioning of new officers (clergy).  This year’s event was an especially big to-do because our international leader, General Linda Bond, was there with us.

Here are some of my many and varied impressions of this event.

1)      I don't like crowds.  Never have.  Can't imagine that I ever will.  Getting together with 3,000+ people is not a pleasurable event for me.  It’s something akin to torture.  After a full day of meetings on Friday and then another morning and afternoon of events on Saturday – I decided that I would play hooky for the Saturday evening program, in order to preserve my sanity and to maintain peace within my family. I do not feel guilty for this at all.

2)      I don't particularly like pep rallies.  And I guess I need to lower my expectations a little bit.  These meetings are always going to veer toward the ‘rah, rah, rah, sis boom bah’.  They're intended to be inspirational and motivational, to stir us up to do better and more.  But that doesn't mean that I'm not hoping for something a little meatier.

3)      This year’s congress was more than a little bittersweet for me.  This is our 15th year of service – which in the Salvation Army means a promotion to the rank of Major (not that it means a lot, it’s just a title) but because I was expelled from the training college (seminary) just weeks before graduation and ordination, my wife and I did not get to have our ordination ceremony in front of the cheering crowd of friend and families.  (even as an introvert, I can appreciate that to some degree).   We were eventually (after the training college principal retired) quietly ordained and commissioned in a private ceremony, but it’s just not the same. The others in my session have received their new rank – but I'll have to wait until January for mine.[i]  I have avoided these Congress events as much as possible in these last 15 years because it’s difficult to be a part of them when I wasn't a part of mine.  Even after all this time, I was surprised by how close to the surface those emotions were. 

4)      But, lest you begin to think that I absolutely hated the event… I did enjoy seeing my mentee receiving his new Lieutenant stars and his first appointment.  3 years ago I was asked if I’d be willing to be a mentor to the then candidate for training. I was surprised to be asked – surely someone remembered that I had been thrown out of the training college.  Yes, I am “Thatjeffcarter.”  So I've played mentor to him, and it must have worked out okay.  It was good – really good to see him receiving all the pomp and circumstance that I missed.  Hurrah and Huzzah!  (And part of me takes this as a sort of ‘revenge' – a little comeuppance to those who threw me out.  Is that wrong?)

5)      It was good to see some very dear friends – even if by the nature of these awful events you can’t see them for more than a few minutes over the course of the weekend.  And it was good to see the many ‘other’ friends and acquaintances from all across the central USA and even from other parts of the globe.  The Salvation Army is good like that.  We get to know many, many, many people from all over.   And there were a lot of people to see … maybe too many (see point #1) but it was good.

6)      I was floored when an officer that I have long admired – from even before I was an officer – told me that I am his hero, and that he hoped the Salvation Army leadership would station us closer together so that we could get together and do something ‘dangerous.’  I’m pretty sure that he meant that metaphorically.  (but even if he didn’t, I’m game.)

There were other things I didn’t like, and other things I did appreciate, but it was a 6 hour drive home, and I’m sorta’ beat.   I’m glad – honestly – glad that we went, but I am Very glad that next year’s event won’t be a mandatory one.




[i] Perhaps I'll tell a bit of this story some other time…

2 comments:

  1. Good words, Jeff. I can particularly resonate with 1, 2 & 5. I'm sorry if I had any part of 3; let's talk sometime, eh?

    You may find my son's FBpost about this year's congress to be of interest:
    Ten varied thoughts on the Salvation Army Congress in St. Louis this weekend:

    1. The General reminds me (positively) of the current Pope, only cooler 'cause she's a lady. She clearly cares for people (she's got a tendency to address a congregation as "beloved") and is an engaging and thoughtful speaker.
    2. Concerts do not make good teen/young adult afterglows (generally speaking, we want to talk to old friends we haven't seen in a while more than we want to be polite to a band we've never heard of). That said, The Brilliance Music did a fantastic and extremely professional job on Saturday.
    3. Visits to the City Museum in St. Louis, on the other hand, make amazing afterglows. I recommend them for all future afterglows, regardless of the location of the actual event. Seriously, I will take a bus. Or a plane.
    4. On a related note, the St. Louis Zoo is awesome, but plan to wait in Six Flags-style lines to see the animals if you go on a nice Saturday in June. Also, you will never, ever be able to park your car.
    5. While it has always struck me as cruel to tell newly ordained clergy where their first place of service will be on stage in front of a crowd of thousands, I will admit I definitely don't care enough about that to want it to stop. The Service of Appointments is so exciting!
    6. The tradition of putting on original musicals in the Salvation Army is something I think is worth reviving. There were some lovely moments in the one this weekend.
    7. In spite of the grousing of many (myself included, at times) I think the logistics of transporting thousands of people around the city at all times of day was handled quite well, considering the difficulty of the task.
    8. Did anybody figure out what happened to that lone protester carrying a sign claiming the Salvation Army ruined his life (amusingly, I thought, depicting an officer with middle finger extended)? I was curious but too shy to ask myself.
    9. I will never get tired of listening to well-played live brass band music. And I will never stop being annoyed at people who whisper loudly to each other while I am trying to listen to it.
    10. God bless the Salvation Army. It’s a weird, wonderful thing.

    And also his blogspot: http://library--of--babel.blogspot.ca/2013/06/salvation-army-congress-2013.html

    ReplyDelete

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails