Pages

google analytics

Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving? That's Over!

I spent several hours today playing my horn at a Salvation Army Red Kettle.  It was cold - really cold this morning - 25 and the wind was screaming across the storefront. And the valves on my horn froze.  So I moved to a different store where I could sit just inside the doors. And there I played my horn.  I played a wide selection of Christmas songs (both sacred and secular) and Thanksgiving hymns.

And in between songs I said, "Thank you," and "Happy Thanksgiving," to the people walking by - even those who didn't put anything in the pot.  (I also said, "Happy Holidays!" gasp!)

I just can't bring myself to say "Merry Christmas."  Not yet.  It's still too early.  It's not even Advent yet, for crying out loud.


So I said, "Happy Thanksgiving."


One woman heard me and kept walking and then did a double take.  She turned around and glared at me and said, "Thanksgiving?  That's over!"

Anyway.  If you'd like to contribute to the Salvation Army Red Kettles (and specifically to the Salvation Army in Newton, Iowa) you can use this handy-dandy online kettle.   (You can also donate the Salvation Army unit nearest to you using the "Find a Kettle" option on that page.


Thank you, and Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails