Pages

google analytics

Friday, August 17, 2012

Whoever Denies Me...



Many years ago, long before you or I were born, there was a man who lived in this village named K-; he was one of the first followers of the way – those known now as Christians – in our country.  This was in the time when followers of the way were still being persecuted by the prefects.  They were arrested. They were beaten.  Some were even killed because of their allegiance to the Nazarene.

They came for K- in the middle of the night. The prefect’s soldiers kicked in the door and dragged him from his bed and took him to the prisons.  And there they tortured him.  “Recant,” they shouted at him between blows.  But he would not turn from his faith. They beat him with rods. They broke each of his fingers.  And all the while the prefect said in his soothing voice, “Reject the Nazarene and this can be stopped.” 

K- endured it all and in his weak voice he continued to repeat, "whoever denies me before me, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven." This went on for many days.  K- endured starvation and humiliation. The prefect continued to encourage K- to recant.  “Reject this Jesus and go free,” he said, “you don’t even have to mean it.  Just let the people of the town hear you reject him and all this pain can be stopped.”  But K- would not be turned.  He was pelted with dung and hung upside down for hours on end.  But he would not deny his Lord.

After a week K- was brought before the prefect.  “You have impressed me, K-," said the prefect.  “I have never encountered anyone as devoted to their god.  But I cannot allow you to continue in this.  Others might be encouraged by your example and begin following your Nazarene.  But neither do I want to have you killed.  Your example would be even more potent as a martyr.  So we have come to this.”

The prefect signaled to a soldier at the door.  A moment later ten children, bound in chains at their ankles, were led into the room.  “These are children of your fellows.  Their parents are followers of the way, just as you are.  I will not kill you K- but if you not recant I will kill them.  And you will watch.  Their blood will be on you.”

K- turned away from the terrified faces of the children and looked at the prefect. His words, spoken as loudly as he could, were still only a whisper, “I reject him. Please. Let them go.  I deny the Nazarene. I have none of him.”

K- was released, as were the children.  They ran from the prefect’s room and were welcomed in their homes by frantic and grateful parents.  K- however, left the town and went off to live in the caves near the river.  He shunned visitors and guests and would see no one.

And there, alone in the caves K- died, whereupon he was taken into heaven. Standing before the risen Jesus he wept and said, “I cannot be here. I denied you as my Lord. You must deny me.”  Jesus only said, “But my brother, you gave your life so that others could live – this was everything my name represents. You have denied nothing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails