Pages

google analytics

Saturday, July 9, 2011

A Drowning Man's Psalm



I was unceremoniously tossed overboard
by rough deckhands with coarse sailors’ curses,
pushed down by strong-willed waves
and I thought, “I will never see home again!”

The waters rose up past my neck, up my nose
(Oh God! I can’t breath!)
Down through abysmal depths
with strands of seaweed strangling me, binding me
dragging me down through Atlantean depths
past the tentacled dreams of vile sea-serpents,
past the roots of mountains,
to the ancient silence of nether-world darkness.

But at the moment the flame of my soul
was flickering away
just before the candle of my life was snuffed out
I remembered you, Yahweh,
and you, far off on the mountain of your glory,
you heard me.

I don’t know about others, I don’t know what
they sacrifice on the empty altars of their lives
but I will give myself to you.
Salvation comes from Yahweh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Carter's books on Goodreads
Muted Hosannas Muted Hosannas
reviews: 2
ratings: 3 (avg rating 4.33)

Related Posts with Thumbnails